Get the daily, bite-sized digest of cryptoasset and blockchain-related news – investigating the tales flying individually distinct of today’s crypto news.
- Per a US Fed report, in 2021, most surveyed US adults using cryptos accomplished it for investment purposes – 12% held or used cryptos within the prior year, 11% held crypto being an investment, 2% stated they used crypto to purchase something / create a payment, and 1% tried on the extender to transmit money to buddies or family. Of these transactional users of cryptocurrencies, 13% was without a financial institution account. Also, 27% of transactional crypto users was without a charge card, in contrast to 17% of non-users with no charge card. Nearly 6 in 10 adults who used crypto for transactions had an earnings of under USD 50,000. Those who held crypto for investment purposes only were disproportionately high-earnings, more often than not were built with a traditional banking relationship, and frequently had other retirement funds.
- Gaming retail chain GameStop announced the launch of the self-custodial Ethereum (ETH) Wallet, that has direct Ethereum Layer 2 integration, for which they are saying are faster and cheaper transactions. The launch continues to be in beta.
- A subsidiary from the multinational bank Standard Chartered along with a cryptoasset custodian for institutional investors, Zodia Child custody, announced it’s integrated with crypto technology provider Fireblocks. This can enable Zodia’s people to connect to the Fireblocks Network with liquidity partners, buying and selling venues, lending desks, and counterparties.
- The Filecoin Foundation, the audience behind the decentralized storage network Filecoin (FIL), and aerospace company Lockheed Martin announced a partnership to create a program for deploying the decentralized protocol Interplanetary File System (IPFS) wide. The IPFS decentralized storage model is supposed to enable more effective bandwith and communication wide, in addition to alleviate burdens for the quantity of onboard storage convenience of spacecraft, they stated.
- Swiss luxury watch manufacturing company TAG Heuer announced their partnership with crypto payments provider BitPay, adding they now accept 12 different cryptoassets as payment options.
- E-commerce giant eBay announced a partnership with NFT platform OneOf and also the launch of a number of NFTs. The series includes 13 limited-edition digital collectibles as eco-friendly, gold, platinum, and gemstone tier NFTs, with as many as 299 editions each within the eco-friendly tier, to fifteen editions within the gemstone tier. Throughout 2022, additional drops of OneOf’s sports legends NFT series will occur together with eBay, they added.
Financial aspects news
- The European Central Bank might start raising rates of interest in This summer and it is “apt to be capable of exit negative rates of interest through the finish from the third quarter,” President Christine Lagarde stated.
- Loan provider Sumitomo Mitsui Trust will generate a company this season to supply digital asset child custody services, including crypto and NFTs, for institutional investors, per Nikkei. It’ll have initial capital of JPY 300m (USD 2.35m) and expects to get enough capital using their company investors to grow its capital base to JPY 10bn (USD 78.4m).
- Bitcoin (BTC) mining company Bit Digital announced a week ago their substation in the Niagara Falls, New You are able to, USA facility was broken by a surge and subsequent fire, thought to be brought on by faulty equipment, and power was stop close to 2,515 Bitcoin miners and around 710 Ethereum miners that were operating to begin. Furthermore, their hosting partner Digihost said excitedly that the decline in capacity to its North Tonawanda, NY, USA site had led to roughly 1,580 of the miners going offline, citing the requirement for additional approvals in the power government bodies.
- Digital artist and popular non-fungible token (NFT) creator Mike Winkelmann, also referred to as Beeple, saw his Twitter account hacked included in a phishing scam, per Harry Denley, security analyst of crypto wallet MetaMask. Beeple later tweeted he had obtained charge of his account and advised his supporters that “anything too good to be real Is Really A F*CKING SCAM.”
(Updated at 16:25 UTC using the Financial aspects news section.)